Feature Travel Article Journalist
St. Louis Post Dispatch Articles
American Queen Steamship taken in Paducah during a cruise from Memphis to St. Louis, 2010 and hiking Machu Picchu in 2007.
ABOUT THE St. Louis POST-DISPATCH
I have written steadily for this major daily since 2001.
I am proud that my writing has been acceptable to four different editors, and has survived budget cut
after budget cut which is a hallmark of the newspaper industry today.
Here are some facts about this paper:
-St. Louis’ only daily newspaper.
-Sunday Travel Section circulation is 230,000 in a metropolitan area of 2.5 million
-the paper website, Stltoday.com, averages hundreds of thousands of monthly hits and feature travel articles remain on the site for five years.
Please contact me for copy of any article below.
(Assigned or completed)
Tucumcari, New Mexico
Monumental Sculpture Across America
Unknown Monuments of Washington D.C.
Where the Buffalo Still Roam
Graves of Lewis and Clark Expedition: Where are they now?
America's Scenic National Byways
Where to dig for Dinosaur Bones in America
Re-openig of Truman Library
Eight to ten At Home articles featuring the art and architecture of St. Louis homes
(Due to the pandemic articles focused less on "real" travel)
Unusual Virtual Travel Opportunities from Your Chair
Post Office Murals from 1930
What is new in our National Cemeteries
Highpointers Club(Those who climb to the highest peak in every state)
Virtual Garden Tours of The world
Extra Miler Club (those who visit every county in America)
Dark Sky cities and parks
International Cloud Spotters Guild
Oddities of Missouri and Illinois
Sisters on the Fly
New Trends in Calligraphy
Seven AT HOME articles featuring the art and architecture of St. Louis homes
Cruising the Great Lakes
Hiking in Chile and Argentina
St. Louis to Minneapolis on board the American Queen
Iconic Factory Tours in America
Driving the Jesse James Trail
What to do at the Grand Canyon besides looking over the edge
Eight AT HOME articles featuring the art and architecture of St. Louis homes
Dude Ranch vacations in North America
Cruising the Mediterranean
Two cities/three days in Missouri and Illinois (second version)
Automobile museums in Missouri and Illinois
Art inside the Missouri state capitol
Ten AT HOME articles featuring the art and architecture of area homes
Hiking in the Cotswolds, England
Iconic Artist homes open for visits in the USA
Two cities/three days in Missouri and Illinois (first version)
Hometown comic book hero's homes to visit in Missouri and Illinois
25 AT HOME articles featuring the art and architecture of area homes
212. Popularity of worldwide river cruising soars (Jan)
211. Glamping: the luxury alternative to camping (May)
210. Sand dune parks in the United States (June)
209. Columbia, Mo ranked among top small cities in America (July)
208. Route 66 in Missouri and Illinois (July)
Eight separate articles featuring interesting homes in St. Louis
207. Evansville, and New Harmony, Indiana: Worth a trip
206. Airplane museums in Missouri and Illinois
205. Sculpture Gardens become destinations nationwide.
204. Colorado Ski Resorts concentrate on summer.
203. Jinny Panton's Clayton Home
202. Missouri's haunted penitentiary in Jefferson City
201. The Montage: A new name in luxury hotels
200. Small Ship Cruises on U.S. rivers and lakes.
199. Unusual places to stay in Missouri and Illinois
198. Montage Luxury Resorts
197. Small Ship Cruises in American waters
196. Friendship Village Villa-Miller residence
195. Ollie knows how to make the journey as interesting as the destination
194. 12 fall day trips in Missouri and Illinois
193. Ghost tours of Jefferson City Pen
192. Legoland in California
191. Jacobx Residence
190 Train watching as a vacation
189. Steve Smith Residence
188. Couchsurfing and Affordable Travel
187. French Missouri
186.50 Miles of Art
185. Hostels in America
184. Amish in Missouri
183. Marceline, MO
(Boyhood home of Walt Disney)
181. Tasmania, Australia
180. St. Louis Side car Club
179. Castle Bed and Breakfast Inns in American
178. Get Your Kicks on Route 36 across Missouri
177. Owl man of Forest Park
176. Amelia Island
175. Amish in Ohio
174. Kodner Art Gallery
173. Wood sculptor Michael Bauermeister
172. Miniature Book Art
171. Napoleon's Retreat B and B
170. Zenith Aircraft Company
169. Russel Wright Estate, NY
Nation's newest national landmark
168. Boston Firehouse transformed into hotel
Dec 6 09...600 words...one photo
Structure on list of nationl list of historic structures
Sep 12 09....800 words...six photos
Unsual places to stay where the room is the experience
166. B and B setting provides picture perfect view
Jun 28 09...600 words...one photo
Lookout Point B and B on lake outside Hot Springs, AR
165. Past lives on at Hotel Frederick
4/19/09...550 words...one photo
Historic Missouri Hotel on Missouri River dates to 1890
164. Landis Oceanfront Inn, Half Moon Bay, CA
3/15/09...600 words...one photo
Wine lovers paradise on the ocean.
163. Quirky Museums from A to Z
2/22/09...1000 words...25 photos
Short paragraphs on 25 unique musuems across America
162. SF Hotel makes splash with $6 in upgrades
2/22/09...600 words...one photo
San Francisco Hyatt on the Wharf
161. Tiny seaside Nantucket hamlet with no hustle
Feb 6 09...725 words...one photo
Siaconset, Nantucket: fishing shacks now top island resort
160. Cowboys, golfers, families flock to desert resort
Jan 20 09...650 words...one photo
Resort on 20,000 acres of desert in Wickenberg, AZ
159. Historic apartment flowers into historic inn
Jan 17,09...700 words...two photos
Dream of florish in Springfield, Il now historic inn
158. Monterey Inn was home of first mayor
Jan 10, 09...580 words...one photo
Historic Inn overlooks Monterey, CA bay
157. Live like a Vanderbilt
Dec 20...550 words...one photo
Hotel on grounds of the Biltmore in Ashville, NC is owned by original family heir
156. Arizona boutique hotel has western history
Dec 13...708 words...one photo
Bisbee hotel scene of bank robbery, murder
155. B&B's elegant rooms have KC touch
Oct 08...680 words...one photo
Kansas City Inn within walking distance of tourist attractions
154. It is still the inn at the trails end
Sep 08...700 words...one photo
Santa Fe trail ended at the original inn on this property in 1607
153. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my
Sep 08...750 words...one photo
California inn located amdist animals used in films.
152. Historic home and gardens offer relaxing alternative
Sep 08...600 words...one photo
Historic Charlotte estate and garden now a B and B
151.B&B is a house of dreams for couple in second careers
August 08...640 words...one photo
New Mexico couple buy a B&B to escape corporate stress
150. Personal touches make a stay special on Nantucket
August 17... 08...625 words...one photo
New owner puts attention on helping guests.
149. Beyond the Glitz
August, 08,,,1200 words...three photos
Cover story on enjoying Las Vegas without gambling
147. Landmark destination keeps adding services
August, 08...690 words...one photos
Chronicles how Mirage in Las Vegas is keeping up with newer hotels
146. Hotel realls 1920's southwest boom
August, 08....725 words...one photo
Hassayampa Inn in Prescott, AZ opened in 1925
145. Garth Mansion
July, 08...one page...750 words..one photo
Hannibal, MO home where Mark Twain visited several times now a bed and breakfast.
144. Hit the hay and dream about horses
July, 08...one page...780 words...one photo
B & B located next to Keeneland Race Track, Lexington, KY
143.First Class Treatment at top resort
June, 08...one page...750 words...one photo
Phoenician offers world class luxury in Arizona
142. Luxurious Southern hospitality on a budget
June, 08...one page...800 words...one photo
Resort at entrance to Smoky Mountains NP, TN
141. US Overseas Military Cemeteries need visitiors
May 08....full page...three photos....1100 words
World War sites throughout Europe close to popular tourist destinations overlooked but memorable
140. Boutique Washington State hotel leads town revival
May 08...one photo...780 words...one page
Rennovated 1893 building now trendy hotel and spa
139. Denver Inn Rocks with movie, pop culture theme
May 08...one photo...700 words...one page
Hotel decorated with pop culture items/humor on every floor
138. On Cloud Nine in New Mexico
May 08...one photo...590 words....one page
Mountain resort at 9500 feet in NM has 9-hole golf course
137. Wright's 'tree that escaped the forest' entices guests in Oklahoma
April, 08...one photo...680 words
Wrights only skyscraper now a botique inn
136. Three children with extraordinary stories
April, 08...one page...one photo....759 words
Indianapolis museum honors three children who changed the world
135. Southwestern inn offers beds 'n birds
April, 08...one page...one photo...800 words
B & B used by birding clubs nationwide is in Arizona
134. Fort's former hospital is now a comfortable boutique inn
March 08...one page...one photo, 750 words
Old Army hospital in Indianapolis now 28-room inn
133. Private yachts at affordable prices offer a flotilla of fun
Mar 08...one page...one photo...760 words
Boatels float in downtown Boston and funciton as a B&B
132. "The Real Deal" in rural Missouri
Mar 08...729 words...one photo...one page
Century old farm house on working farm is a new B&B
131. Couple offer a variety of B&B retreats with a view in San Juan Islands, Washington
Feb 08...710 words...one page...one photo
Couple has built eight cabins on waterfront lot over 30 years
130. Italian-inspired B&B offers history, elegance
Feb 08...700 words...one page...one photo
Downtown Indianapolis inn surrounded by history
129. Mountaintop resort offers many amenities
Feb 08...690 words...one page...one photo
Resort in Cascade Mountians in Washington State
128. Former boarding house offers spectacular harbor views
Jan 09...810 words...one page...one photo
Inn on Marblehead harbor in Mass enjoys wraparound porch with harbor view
127. Historic neighborhood and inn offer variety of attractions
Jan 08...760 words...one page ...one photo
German Village Guest House in Columbus, Ohio in midst of largest privatedly funded restoration project in US.
126. 1860 log cabin finds new home as Illinois B & B
Jan 08...699 words...one page...one photo
Story about how an antique collector shares her love of "old buildings" with the public
125. Friendly accommodations with a green tint
Dec 07...750 words...one page...one photo
Irving House: part inn, hostel and hotel near Harvard campus
124. Inn is built on a berry good vision outside Hershey, PA
Dec 07...605 words...one page...one photo
Berry Patch Inn utilizes berry theme; packages and sells homemade berry products worldwide
123. Third generation owners relish sharing home built by Wright
Nov 07...590 words...one page...one photo
Farmhouse designed by Frank Lloyd Wright stands in middle of barns and stables in Wisconsin
122. Transformed warehouse is part of vibrant area
Oct 07...750 words...one page...one photo
Rennovated plumbing supply warehouse now chic boutique hotel in Columbus, Ohio
121. Colonial English cottage creates a nice place to relax in Hermann, Missouri
Oct 07...786 words...one page...one photo
One room inn takes guests back 160 years
120. Inn near West Point, New York is great for swine and dine
Sep 07...641 words...one page...one photo
Pig Hill Inn perfect place to enjoy sites in Hudson River Valley
119. Presidents have found themselves in hot water at this PA resort
Sep 07...640 words...one page...one photo
Beford Springs Resort begins third century of hosting guests in Pennsylvania
118. This hotel starred in Paper Moon movie
Sep 07...804 words...one photo...one page
Restored Kansas hotel becomes pride of town of 750
117. "Hey! Barns."
Sep 07...500 words...three photo...two pages
Barns with painted quilt squares becoming tourist attractions
116. Luxury in Seattle features flaming in-room desserts
Sep 07...750 words...one page...one photo
El Gaucho Inn opens above famous El Gaucho steak house
115. Boarders like the wood at the Lumber Baron Inn
Sep 07...805 words...one page...one photo
Mansion in Denver features murder mystery dinners
114. Take your pick: Lodge, cabin, tent or RV site
August 07...690 words...one page...one photo
Lakedale Lodge in San Juan Islands, Washington State has four options
113. Kansas Castle includes modern coveniences
August 07...750 words...one page...one photo
Isolated ranch on 3000 acres was built to look like a castle
112. Architect invented a history for Arizona railroad showplace
August 07...789 words...one page...one photos
La Posada was fabled architect Mary Colter's favorite project
111. From high tea to champagne, historic lodge of luxury has it all
August 07...701 words...one page...one photo
Brown Palace in Denver has a 114-year history of luxury
110. B &B can boast Abe Lincoln might have sat here
July 07...688 words...one page...one photo
Deluxe Select Registry Hotel boasts about an outhouse Lincoln used in 1840
109. Luxury inn is home on the range
June 07...900 words...one page...one photo
Colorado B & B offers big city luxury in town of 700 on Colorado plains
108. Restored farmstead surrounds travelers with rock solid history
June 07...850 words...one page...one photo
Kansas B and B welcomes travelers along I-70
107. Enchantment Resort: Day or night the scenery is supurb
June 07...650 words...one page...one photo
Luxury resort in Sedona is in an isolated canyon
106. Tobacco warehouse now a smoke-free art hotel
May 07...500 words...one page
New hotel in Lancaster County, PA feature work of 200 local artists
105. B and B offers Southwestern panorama
May, 07...905 words...one page...one photo
High Feather Bed and Breakfast overlooks city from remote mountain location
104. Pikes Peak looks good from a hot tub
Apr 07...800 words...one page...one photo
Inn in Old Colorado City features hot tubs on room balconies
103. Red carpet treatment is SOP at amenity-laden inn
Apr 07...704 words...one page...one photo
Inn treats guests as if they were on a first-class cruise
102. B & B maintains reputation as grascious Victorian home
Mar 07...605 words...one page...one photo
Mansion in Old Town Albuquerque has had Elvis and Sinatra as guests
101. The word is out on former desert hideaway of movie stars
Mar 07...950 words...one page...one photo
Hacienda del Sol in Tucson is where Tracy and Hepburn would met
100. For a tall night's sleep, this is the place to stretch out
Feb 07...690 words...one page...one photo
Colcord Hotel, the only boutique hotel in Oklahoma City, caters to NBA players
99. Nature takes wing at this 'bird and breakfast'
Feb 07...875 words...one page...one photo
Nature Conservancy owned inn is open to public and exists to study nature
98. Florence hotel has art everywhere
Feb 07...685 words...one page...one photo
Hotel Mona Lisa is located in 1500-era palace filled with private art of owner
97. Dirt Road, blueberry juice make inn distinctive
Feb 07...825 words...one page...one photo
Blueberry Hill Inn in Vermont is everything blueberry
96.Village keeps its 1800's image intact
Jan 07...700 words...one page...one photo
Corner George inn in Illinois includes four buildings in town of 50 people
95. Outpost of History
Jan 07...690 words...one page...one photo
Afro American Museum traces history of black family to 1830 and slavery
94. Luxury is an amenity at Victorian-era inn
Jan 07...850 words...one page...one photo
New England inn in Newport has menus for pillows, water, soap and breakfast.
93.Owensboro, Kentucky offers art, food and culture festivals that lure people back year after year
Dec. 06...779 words...one page...one photo
Description of the 20 -early festivals in this Ohio river town.
92. B and B is a welcome port in this Kentucky river town
Dec. 06...785 words...one page...one photo
Helton Inn is "the place to stay" for Owensboro festivals
91. Arizona B and B offers comfort amid desert isolation
Dec. 06...829 words...one page...one photo
Small home is only lodging on US border near Organ Pipe Cactus NM
90. A One-star hotel never looked so good.
Dec. 06...725 words...one page...two photos
Review of Phantom Ranch Lodge at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.
89. "Botique Inn offers views of St. Lawrence Seaway"
Nov. 06...780 words...one page...one photo
Small Quebec hotel has few American guests but many Europeans.
88. "Eclectic Ranch B and Bhas something for everyone."
Oct. 06...775 words...one page...one photo
Inn in southern Arizona caters to bird watchers, dog fanciers and those on horseback.
87."Inn is as big as a city block."
Oct. 06...685 words...one page...one photo
Paducah inn located above stores on main street with view of Ohio River
86. "House of Nahum aims for consolation and comfort in S. Illinois."
Oct. 06...700 words...one page...one photo
Inn nesteled in national forest amid several state parks in S. Illinois.
85. "Inn is a change of pace for travelers in a big city."
Sep. 06...825 words...one page...one photo
Cozy inn is ten minutes from downtown Boston.
84. "When gasoline prices were low."
Sep, 06...850 words...two pages...two photos
Description of Gasoline Alley Musuem and origin of the collection
83. Historic Canadian inn may be home to ghost
August, 06...705 words...one page...one photo
Owner of 1725 inn met with Ben Franklin to help finance Revolutionary War
82. Inn was the home of an east coast swell
August, 06...650 words...one page...one photo
History of Bar Harbor and the person who built the Primrose Inn
81.Inn to inn hiking trail in Colorado has a St. Louis connection
July,06...1440 words...one page...two photos
History of newly opened inn to inn trail in Estes Park, CO
80. Murder Mystery and keys are a big part of popular inn
July, 06...852 words...one page...two photos
Story of an inn that dates to 1917 and which was the topic for five movies
79. Hotel is a bargain for Boston's tony Back Bay area
July, 06...598 words...one page...one photo
Historic hotel owned by YWCA offers chic rooms for $99 to $179
78. B and B is in a great location for exploring Amish country
July, 06...695 words...one page...one photo
Inn doubles as artist studio in scenic Lancaster County, PA
77. Sedona's vortexes draw believers as well as the just plain curious
July, 06...1005 words...one page... two photos
Discussion of why New Agers and others are drawn to the vortexes in Sedona
76. Buffalo Bill Cody slept here and you can too
July, 06...704 words...one page...one photo
The song "American" is thought to have been written on the inn porch, which burned 18 years ago and was just recently rennovated and reopened.
75. Hotel's special touches include sherry every evening
June, 06...880 words...one page...one photo
Description of first luxury hotel that opened in Denver and still in business
74. Historic inn has played host to presidents, Dylan and the Duke
June, 06...695 words...one page...one photo
Inn dates from 1773 and is one of the oldest in the United States.
73.A bed and breakfast inn on the Florida coast is hard to find.
May, 06...715 words...one page...one photo
B and B on the beach offers rare accommodations along Gulf coast.
72. Guests need not be famous to live like rock stars in Orlando
May, 06...698 words...one page...one photo
Hard Rock Hotel designed as if built by a weathly rock star, located a five minute walk from Universal Studios theme parks.
71.There is real ranching to be done with a man named C
May, 06...750 words...one page...one photo
Dude Ranch allows guests to herd cattle
70.B & B has an unsual history, elves and all
May,06...658 words...one page...one photo
1905 Manison with 35 rooms now a B & B
69.Inn's Peaceful Forest Setting is a Treat for Nature Lovers
April, 06...725 words...one photo...one page
Resort and Spa features historic log cabins used as rooms.
68.Founder's Personality Looms Large at Secluded Inn
April, 06...750 words...one photo...one page
Hacienda of Arizona's first cowboy artist now a fancy inn
67. In the Land of Baseball, B & B Hits a Home Run
April, 06.... 672 words...one photos...one page
History and description of B and B in tiny Cooperstown, New York, home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.
66. Red Rocks Frame Low Key Arizona Resort
March 06...720 words...one photo...one page
Description of new resrot in Sedona, Arizona
65.B and B is a Welcome Mix of Art and Hospitiality
March 06...706 words...one photo...one page
Description of B and B that is also an art gallery by day.
64. Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort Mixes Culture with Relaxation
March, 2006...829 words...one page...one photo
Description of newly opened resort on Native American reservation south of Phoenix dedicated to culture of Pima and Maricopa tribal history.
63. Art Lovers Welcome at Home of Noted Collector
February, 2006...380 words...one page...two photos
Description of home and art collection of F. Weisman open to public in LA.
62. The Galapagos...Walking with Nature's Own
January, 2006...3085 words...seven photos....front page feature plus full inside
First person account of seven day cruise in the Galapagos Islands
61.Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
January, 2006...750 words...two photos
Hotel in Andes in Peru below Machu Picchu ruins
62. Los Poblanos Inn Offers Offers Historic Stay on the Rio Grande
December, 2005...850 words...one photo
Historic Albuquerque adobe inn with rooms centered around an open courtyard and surrounded by lavender farm and an organic farm owned by the inn.
61. Acoma Pueblo Thought to be Longest Inhabited Community in North America
December, 2005...1050 words...two photos
History of Arizona community that dates to 1150.
60. Snowbirds Flock to Tiny Quartzsite, Arizona
October, 2005...825 words...two photos
Description of town of 3,000 that hosts 2.5 million visitors Oct-Apr
59. "Where to Stay: The Cliff House Resort and Spa on the Coast of Maine"
October, 2005...950 words...one photo
Review of resort that opened in 1877 and continues operation under the same family.
58. "Bound 'Round the World"
August, 2005...2583 words...six photos....Cover page +one full inside
Story of tall ship on worldwide, year-long voyage with trainee crew
57. "Rolling on the River(Barge)"
April, 2005...900 words...one photo...front page below fold
Preview of only floating hotel barge in US traveling Mississippi and Ohio Rivers
56. "The Caves of Hannibal"
January, 2005...1300 words...one page...one photo
Introduces the caves Mark Twain played in, and home he visited
55. "Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum"
November, 2004...600 words...one page...one photo
Humorous article on impact of Presidential election on elephant museum
54. "Skiing in Bethel Maine"
November, 2004...850 words...one page...two photos
Review of Ski Magazine selection of "BEST SKI TOWN IN THE UNIVERSE"
53. "Double Decker Sightseeing Bus Attracts Attention"
September, 2004....800 words....one page....two photos
Introduces five red London open-top buses to city.
51. "Adults Earn Their Wheels at Rollerblade Camp on Hilton Head Island"
July, 2004...1324 words...one page...one photo
Review of rollerblade camp for adults held in South Carolina
50. "They Come From Around the World to Stay in Soulard"
July, 2004...750 words...two pages...three photos
Review of only youth hostel in Missouri and the guests who stay there
49. "900 Year History Carved Into Inscription Rock"
July, 2004...1215 words...one page...one photo
Description of El Morro National Monument in New Mexico
48. "Toronto: The World Within A City"
June, 2004....2900 words...two pages....five photos...(COVER STORY)
Walking tour through the cultural diversity of Toronto.
47. "Little Museum on the Prairie"
May, 2004...1000 words...one page...two photos
Museum decicated to travel built with funds from wealthy farmer who enjoyed travel.
46. "Feathers Fly All Year At Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge in Indiana
April, 2004...1200 words...one page...two photos
Introduces Indiana refuge to Missouri
45. "There is more than meets the eye on Martha's Vineyard" (COVER STORY)
February,2004....2863 words....two pages....five photos
A detailed look at the Martha's Vineyard tourists rarely experience.
44. "Trek to Bottom of Grand Canyon tests a hiker's mettle"
January, 2004....1383 words...quarter page...one photo
Describes the perils and rewards of a hike to bottom of Grand Canyon.
43. "The Thoroughbreds That Fly"
January, 2004...894...quarter page...one photo
Reveals the remarkable ability of homing pigeons
42. "Teddy Bears with Forebears"
January, 2004...860 words...one page...one photo
Lady who makes teddy bears out of old mink coats.
41. "Privy to the Past"
December, 2003...955 words...one page...one photo
Explains why privy diggers find treasure at the bottom of old outhouses.
40. "Red Rock Scenery Makes Sedona a Mecca for Hikers"
December, 2003....1427 words...one page...one photo
Reviews hiking trails in Sedona desert.
39. "Paducah Earns Reputation for Art, Quilts" (COVER STORY)
October, 2003....1901 words....two pages...three photos
HIghlights the vibrant art scene in this small town which is building a 40 million dollar performing arts center and attracting artists from all over the nation.
38. "Unlocking the Past in the Bootheel"
October, 2003....1646 works...one page...one photo
Reviews Indian mounds, virgin forests and plantation in southern Missouri
37. "Fort Massac Celebrates Lewis and Clark Visit with Opening Of Reconstructed Fort"
October 2003...1383 words...one page...one photo
Reviews history of fort and relationship to Lewis and Clark exploration of Western United States
36. "Year-round Travel in an RV Offers Daily Adventures (COVER STORY)
September, 2003...1583 words...one page...one photo
Reports on the lifestyle of St. Louis residents who have sold their homes and travel full time in large RV's
35. "One More for the Road"
August 2002...740 words....quarter page...one photo
Presents attractions of a homey hideaway B and B in Southern Illinois
34. “Foreign Travelers Attracted to Route 66” (COVER STORY)
July 2003…1259 words…one page…one photo
Describes the worldwide attraction foreigners have to drive America’s first Interstate.
33. “So You Want to Play Wyatt Earp” (COVER STORY)
July 2003…1175 words…two pages…one photo
Introduces new sport of Cowboy Action Shooting at local gun club
32. “Which is the Greater Crater?”
June 2003…1398 words…one page…two photos
Compares Meteor Crater and Sunset Volcano Crater twenty minutes apart in Arizona
31. “Bellefontaine Cemetery: A Walk Through St. Louis History”
June 2003…1243 words…one page…one photo
Review of the elaborate monument art from the rural cemetery movement in 1840.
30. “Hike on Hughes Mountain Leads to Ancient Lava Flow”
April 2003…1004 words…one photos
Describes hike to unusual rock formations known as the “Devil’s Honeycomb.”
29. “Lost Treasures Await Discovery by Determined Diggers”
April 2002…1149 words…one page…one photo
Reveals how metal detector clubs find lost treasure underground all over the world.
28. “The Past is Present in Lancaster County” (COVER STORY)
March 2003…2272 words…two pages…five photos
Outlines attractions in Lancaster County, PA and surrounding small towns.
27. “Dana-Thomas House Showcases Early Wright Architecture”
February 2003…1273 words…one page…one photo
Tour of 16,000 square foot, 1905 home designed by Wright in Springfield, IL
26. “Icebergs, Critter Tracks, Icicle Curtains Await Winter Hikers”
January 2003…1199 words…one page…one photo
Encourages readers to hike in the winter; presents what to look for along the way..
25. “Cross Country Skiers Would Rather Go Flatter than Faster”
December 2002…1273 words…one page…one photo
Discusses cross country ski opportunities locally and nationally
24. “Rabid Collectors Spawn Small Museums” (COVER STORY)
December 2002…1474 words…two pages…one photo
Review of bizarre small museums within a three-hour drive of St. Louis
23. “Wintertime is Perfect Diving Time at Bonne Terre Mine”
December 2002…1213 words…one page…one photo
Abandoned and flooded lead mine attracts divers from all over the world.
22. “Challenges of Arctic Canoe Trips Appeal to St. Louis Couple” (COVER STORY)
1394 words…two pages…three photos
Adventurous couple has canoed in remote Alaskan wilderness four times.
21. “Canoeing continues through the fall and winter on Ozark Rivers”
December 2002…1095 words…one page…one photo
People who canoe all winter on Missouri streams tell why they do it .
20. “High -Tech Game Relies on Satellites and the Internet”
November 2002…1551 words…one page…one photo
Introduction to new sport of Geo-caching.
19. “Over Hill and Dale in England’s Yorkshire Dales” (COVER STORY)
October 2002…3506 words…three pages…five photos
Relates personal experience of 120-mile hike over an ancient footpath in England.
18. “Grass Courts are Vintage Real Estate”
October 2002…1129 words…one page…one photo
One of only two public grass court facilities in United States
17. “Re-enactors Turn Back the Clock”
September 2002…1251 words…one page…one photo
Re-enactment activity around the world.
16. “Surprise Discoveries Await Visitors to Fort Belle Fontaine”
August 2002…1410 words…one page…one photo
Historic but little-known site of two stops made by Lewis and Clark.
15. “Recreational Venues Make a Effort to Increase Options for the Disabled”
June 2002…1360 words…one page…one photo
Presentation of metro-area park trails that are disabled accessible.
14. “At Laumeier Visitors Can be Hikers or Art Lovers or Both”
June 2002…1427 words…one page…one photo
Review of the trail at Laumeier Sculpture Park and the outdoor art it passes.
13. “St. Louis Cycling Club Emphasizes Fitness, Camaraderie”
May 2002…1312 words…one page…one photo
Describes activities and worldwide tours by St. Louis Cycle Club
12. “Creve Coeur Trail Offers Variety of Views”
May 2002…1332 words…one page…one photo
Description of 5-½ mile lakeside trail.
11. “Missouri Glades Offer Opportunities for Unusual Hikes”
April 2002…1434 words…one page…one photo
Guide to three different woodland glade trails.
10. “Plein-air Artists Find Their Inspiration in the Great Outdoors”
March 2002...1299 words…one page…one photo
Describes history of outdoor painting and where to participate.
0. “Challenges of Winter Camping Appeal to Enthusiasts”
February 2002…1377 words…one page…one photo
Places to camp throughout the winter near St. Louis.
8. “Utah’s Five National Parks Offer Scenic Variety for Hikers.”
January 2002…1452 words…one page…one photo
Compares and contrasts national parks in southern Utah.
7. “Rock Climbers Turn to Ice When Weather Turns Cold”
December 2001…1084 words…one page…one photo
Ice climbing opportunities in Missouri and Colorado.
6. “LaBarque Hills is for the Adventurous”
December 2001…1295 words…one page…one photo
How to Explore Nature Conservancy Property that has no hiking trails.
5. “Skiers Find a Challenge Going Hut to Hut”
December 2001…1240 words…one page…one photo
Where to find hut-to-hut ski trails around the United States.
4. “Little Emmenegger Park is a Hidden Gem”
November 2001…1317 words…one page…one photo
Prior private animal preserve, now an excellent park for hiking.
3. “Lewis and Clark and Howell Island Trails Offer Double Dose for Hikers”
August 2001…1206 words…one page…one photo
Two trails on opposite sides of Missouri River.
2. “Hikers Witness Some of Nature’s Best Work”
June 2001…1371 words… one page…one photo
Guide to the four best trails in Missouri and Illinois
1. “61-Year Old Hiker Leaves Footprints All Over the World”
March 2001…1151 words…one page…one photo
Travels of hiker who walks 2500 miles a year all over the world.
416 Conway Wold Byway St. Louis, MO 63141
<a href="http://www.statcounter.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://c8.statcounter.com/counter.php?sc_project=926329&amp;java=0&amp;security=2a888f5e&amp;invisible=1" alt="website statistics" border="0"></a>